AnnArbor.com is hiring web developers. Read more for a full description and qualifications.
Job Title: Web Developer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Work Experience: Two plus years
Education Level: Undergraduate degree
Date Posted: June 16, 2009
Job Type: Full Time Employee
Great Jobs Great Opportunities Great Environment
AnnArbor.com is a new online media company serving the people of Ann Arbor and Washtenaw County, Mich. We are located in Ann Arbor, a college town that's proud to be known for our athletics, lively entertainment scene and high quality of life. Sperling's Best Places rated Ann Arbor as the "Fifth Best City To Live In the U.S.'' in 2007. We're also an unusually tech-savvy place where 92 percent of residents have the tools and resources to engage online. AnnArbor.com is looking for creative, energetic professionals to help us build a whole new kind of company that combines the proud tradition of local journalism with a commitment to building a true online community that allows citizens to gain, share and create content on whatever topics are important to them. We have full-time and part-time jobs in news, community content, sales, marketing, community relations and promotions. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, as well as the opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial culture that encourages creativity, innovation and excellence. AnnArbor.com will evolve and grow to meet the needs of the community and its advertisers, and our employees must be willing to change with us.
Web developers will work with the business and editorial departments to constantly improve our website and newspaper. The job is a combination of different web disciplines: part development, part operations, and part design. The ideal candidate will have a wide range of web skills, but does not need to be a master of all.
Developers will be responsible for limited scope web design and development serving both our internal operations and external sites. Development projects will focus on identifying and solving specific problems. For projects of a larger scope, developers will work with outside vendors to do the development and design work. Developer will also be responsible for applying patches on the software level of the web stack and troubleshooting problems on the site. Developers must also have an eagerness to learn about new technologies and share that knowledge with the rest of the staff.
• Reports to Director of Technology
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Identify and meet technology needs of editorial and business operations.
• Build, or work with outside firms to build websites and web-based tools.
• Work with outside hosting providers and developers to implement website upgrades.
• Monitor web operations and respond to problems, some of which occur outside of regular business hours.
• Share knowledge of internet techniques and technologies with our staff.
• Train and support our staff on the best ways to utilize our internal tools.
• Work with an external help desk that handles desktop hardware and software.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently.
• Familiarity with web APIs and development frameworks.
• Well-rounded knowledge of web serving and desktop computing needs.
• Experience developing web applications in: PHP, Python, PERL, Ruby, Django, Rails, .net or similar environment.
• Experience with Movable Type.
• Experience with HTML, CSS and user interface design.
• Familiarity with using version control systems.
• Journalism or advertising experience also a plus.
How to Apply:
E-mail a cover letter, resume and work samples to email@example.com. Please include the title of the job you are applying for in the subject field of the e-mail.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.